Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas with the Robertson's (part 1)

Christmas 2009

We decided to take a trip and get away for Christmas. We knew that if we stayed home, we’d have children and parents all in various rooms, watching different shows on different t.v’s or playing on different computers, etc... we’d be thinking about all the work that needed to be done around the house, and more than likely we’d just be grumpy with each other, and that wasn’t what we wanted. So we found a cabin/house up in the Smokey Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN that was still available the week before Christmas, and we made our reservations.

Rebekah came home from college on my birthday (Friday, Dec. 18th) – what a nice birthday present!

The night before my Birthday, Bill and I attended a Work Christmas dinner at the Space and Rocket Center. It was a nice dinner, and I’m glad Bill at a really good meal. It’s pretty much the last thing he ate for nearly a week. That night Bill started feeling ill – chills and fever! By morning he could barely get out of bed, he felt so bad! I get the kids off to school, dropped Liam off at his school and went to a hair apt. I had scheduled as my birthday treat. Afterward, I went home and tried to keep all the kids who were excited aobut the Christmas break, and home from school early after a half day, just a little bit quiet so dad could rest. Bill barely got out of bed for the next several days. Sunday when we came home from church, he asked for an I.V. so I hauled him out and he got an i.v. and some shots of antibiotics and pain killers and I brought him back home to bed. Monday morning he felt somewhat better, and got up and attempted to go in to work. On his way he stopped at the Dr’s again, and they gave him a breathing treatment as he couldn’t take a full breath, and told him he had pneumonia. Oh, and he had lost abt 10 lbs since he hadn’t eaten much of anything in days!
He went on to work with a couple of new prescriptions and tried to get a few things taken care of. Those who saw him at the office told him to go back home! He really didn’t look like he was well at all, (and that was the first day he looked almost like himself again)! We were a little concerned that he was not going to be well enough to enjoy our Christmas trip to the Smokey Mountains... We started making him smoothies full of protein powder to help him regain his energy. That, and the i.v. he’d had made a huge difference. Tuesday he stayed home in bed, and the rest of us gathered and packed things and got things ready to go. I was very behind! I REALLY wanted to go to a fun ornament x-change, but never finished my ornaments, and as it was I didn’t get to bed till after 3:30 a.m. after getting things organized as best as I could.
Wednesday we didn’t get going quite as quickly as we’d originally wanted, but we eventually got on the road. We had planned on driving us all up in the van, but with the possibility of snow up the mountain, we decided to drive two vehicles, so we could shuttle everyone up to the cabin/house in Bill’s truck since it has 4 wheel drive. We later were glad we’d made that choice!
Just as we were packing up Rebekah made the suggestion that the kids all ride in the van and she and Amanda would switch off driving, and Bill and I could ride up in the truck together, and have time to talk... What a nice present that was. We were able to talk and visit, on the 5 hour drive, or listen to the 80’s music channel, and the kids got to listen to all the silly songs and sing and be loud and crazy, and it didn’t drive us nuts! It was great!

2 comments:

kg said...

Glad Bill was able to regain some energy to go, I got worried when I didn't see you at the ornament party! Looking forward to hearing about your trip in the mountains!

hope said...

So sorry to hear about that. That is exactly what I had the morning I came home from Choir Rehearssal. But I was told it was bacterial. Not fun at all. I am sure even more not fun in Bill's condition.
That is great though that you were able to take the trip.