Monday, September 15, 2008

Marissa's Baptism Day!









Yesterday Sept. 14th, 2008 Marissa was Baptised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, by her father. It was a very nice day, we had a double baptism with another little friend from church with a birthday just 2 days before Marissa. The good thing I remember from way back when I was baptised, is that I got baptised on the same day as my best friend. It was kind of fun to have a baptism buddy.



When Rebekah was about to turn eight years old, a friend with a daughter just a couple of months older than Rebekah, made a dress while she made her daughters dress and sent it to us for Rebekah's baptism. I made pantaloons and a cami to go underneath so it wasn't see through when it was all wet. Each one of my girls has worn it when they got baptised. I was even thinking that perhaps we can save it and send it around to all of the granddaughters some day. (as it turned out, Our little friend 'A' got to wear the outfit that her grandmother made for her mom when she was a little girl that she was baptised in - so both girls had on family heirlooms for the baptism. Afterward they both put on their pretty white dresses. they both looked so sweet! the smiles on their faces!


Marissa looked like she was glowing!


Another sweet moment was after 'A' was confirmed, she went back to her seat and was going to sit down, they had her come back up to give her dad a hug and to shake hands all around the circle. ;-) Then, after Marissa was confirmed, she hugged her dad, and then instead of just shaking hands, she hugged each of the priesthood bretheren who stook in the circle, it was cute. Then, when Marissa went back and sat down next to 'A' and they hugged each other. Very Sweet! I wished I could have taken a picture of THAT moment! :-) (of course that wouldn't have been exactly appropriate in the middle of the meeting... but so cute! )

The sad part of the day is that we've had a lot of sickness in our family. I was coughing up a lung for most of the day and have a deep husky voice. Amanda was asked to give the talk on Baptism, but she has been feeling sick again - she has never quite kicked what she had a couple of weeks ago, and is coughing all the time, and not able to sleep well, so she's exhausted, and now getting sick again all over again. Anyway, she did NOT feel well durring church yesterday. By the time we were sitting down ready for the baptism, she felt really bad, and was crying. I reached over and touched her head, and she was on fire! burning up with a fever! I ended up reading her talk, lucky she had written down pretty much everything she was going to say!
We had invited the 'S' family over after church for dinner. I just made a big crock pot of chili, and put stuff in the bread machine, so we had nice yummy fresh bread. It was a little crazy with 13 kids here in the house (Rebekah had a friend that came to dinner as well as the 6 children in each of ours and the 'S' families). It was fun to spend time with friends.
We had a lovely day. We are grateful for all of the friends (adopted families), that came to share our day with us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALyssa was so glad that she was able to see her and A baptized! I wish I could've been there, but I am just too sick around church time that it's all I can do to sit through 3 hrs. of it! Alyssa said it was great! Congratulations, Marissa!

Traveling Deckers said...

What a wonderful day. Wish we could have been there. I still remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. It is hard to believe that 8 years have gone by. Congrats Marissa.

Jenni said...

Roo - so glad we could share some of your special day with you! We love you!

Lisa said...

It was so nice!! I'm glad we could be there!!

AnnaLee & Roger Tillman Family Proclamation said...

Congrats Marissa! When I read that you were being baptized I called Miss Amanda to let her know and since I was with Mrs. Anna Pettus I told her also. When Miss Amanda gets home today it will be fun to show her your pictures!

I will also forward your blog on to Anna so she can see you also.