Friday, November 14, 2008

Thankful for employment

Today my post was going to be about being grateful for my husbands' job - for a steady job and a steady paycheck.
Last night I got a phone call from my friend R in NYC who just had the twins, on Oct 4th. Since I left them at a week post partum, her husband actually lost his job (officially). He worked for Lehman Bro's in the stock Market. Since that time (even while I was there), he has been working on getting another job. He has had phone interviews, and then about two weeks ago, he flew out for a couple of interviews (mom was on her own with all four kids for about 4 days), and SHE DID IT!!! Well, they accepted an offer and have been packing up their apartment. Tomorrow they get on a plane and fly with a (just turned) 7 yr old girl, a 2 1/2 yr old boy and 6 wee old twin baby boys! They will be moving in with R's in-laws for a while till they get setteled and can find a place of their own. G will start his new job next week, in San Francisco. At least they will have his parents to help out.

When I was in NY and I told my sweetheart about G probably losing his job - he asked me if I was sure I still wanted him to Retire and get a 'civilian' job in the real world. I am pretty sure I do, but the Job Secuity for the past nearly 20 years has definitely been nice.

So for today... along with many other things, I am thankful for Job Security and a regular paycheck.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Having a job is definitaly a good thing!!

Karen said...

Wow. I can't imagine having to move aftet twins! Yikes. I wish her the best.

Rachel and Joshua said...

Josh talks about getting out but I point out to him that the job security and the benefits don't compare. Granted he would have a higher number on a paycheck, but it would get sucked into making up for the benefits we have now like the great Healthcare!!!
I hope he'll tough it out to 20. He only has 9 years left. Then we at least have retirement to fall back on if times get tough. :)

The West Family said...

That is one thing that the military world offers you-stability. For family life though, it is a hard trade and you have all paid in many ways. Time to live like the rest of us. I am thankful that Brian didn't stay on Subs. I do not know where our marriage would be today.