Yesterday I took three of my kids; Amanda, Sariah and Liam with me to Montgomery (a three hour drive) to a Midwifery Rally at the Alabama State house. We marched around the capitol building, had some speakers on the front steps of the statehouse, and then went to talk with our legislators. We spoke with our House Represetative Mac McCutcheon, and to Senator Tom Butler, to ask them to please read about and support our bill SB240. We had a nice little chat with each of them. They asked where the kids went to school, Senator Butler and his wife told us that they had a child who had attended Liberty Middle school the first year it was open. We left them all with Bottles of Water and M&M's labeled with MW facts, and our message that Alabama Mothers deserve Midwives.
The girls got them both to sign their business cards to show that they'd been there, and in the hopes that they would work as their school excuse for the day. We'll see how that goes over, but it was worth the effort.
We had a good day other than the fact that it was COLD and the wind was whipping!
The youth of our Ward had temple night, so on our way driving home from Montgomery we stopped at the Birmingham Temple to drop Amanda off.
Rebekah wanted to go with us really bad, but... she had concert tickets to go see Linkin Park in Nashville, with friends. The Seate health committee had a hearing last week on Thursday, and we would have gone to that so Rebekah would have had a chance to go see the political machine at work... but I had a birth last Thursday morning and so she's really bummed. I told her we'll probably still be going down again next year. Unless we manage to get the possitive Momentum in the Senate, to pass along to the House and our bill passes this year. That would be Awesome!!! and we can hope, but the reality is, we still have to fight the big money of the Medical Association.
The kids all did great, until about the last 40 minutes of the car ride home. Liam and the other little girl (Akira) that traveled down with us with her mom, started crying. The kids had had a LONG day and 6 hours of driving...
I'll post pictures from our day but I don't know how... I have to wait for Amanda to come home and help me some more... thank you Amanda! love you!
1 comment:
You're welcome mom.
I love you.
I had fun.
Post a Comment